As the Kizhi Island is an open air museum usually tourists stay about 3 hours on the Island. In summer time, the longest possible daytime to stay is 11 hours. In summer time the museum is open from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. without breaks and days off.
The visitors who come to the Island Kizhi must follow the following rules to preserve this precious heritage:
Leave your big bags, suitcases, and packages in the bus, boat, etc. Follow the recommendations of the museum, custodians, guides, security, police and firemen. Do not litter. It is not allowed on the Island:
In case of violation of the above regulations visitors can be fined by the museum security or police. The regulations are based on recommendations of the International Committee on Museum Security.
- Professional and commercial shooting using tripods and powerful flashes.
- Guiding, advertising.
- Using open fire.
- Smoking, swimming and mooring (except at specially marked places).
- Visiting museum in the state of alcoholic and narcotic intoxication.
- Damaging museum labels, plans and schemes.
- Bringing in plain weapon, firearm, explosives and inflammable fluids.
- Touching museum exhibits (icons, object of applied arts, household utensils).
There are helicopter flights from Peski Airport to Kizhi Island on request only in winter time. The cost of the rent of the helicopter is about 30000 roubles per hour. The trip by helicopter from Petrozavodsk takes around 25 minutes. The capacity is 20 passengers.
In winter you can also get to the island by snowmobiles from Petrozavodsk or nearby settlements (ice dependent).
- Train №18: MOSCOW – PETROZAVODSK
Departure time from Moscow at 18:30 p.m., and arrives in Petrozavodsk at 9:00 a.m.
- Train №657: ST.PETERSBURG – PETROZAVODSK
Departure time from St. Petersburg – 22:00 p.m., and arrives in Petrozavodsk at 7:00 a.m.
Kizhi is located not far from the city of Petrozavodsk, and the main port of the Lake. Hydrofoils sail there every day, during the season of navigation.
Every hydrofoils run from the River port of the city of Petrozavodsk to Kizhi Island. The distance is 63 km from Petrozavodsk to Kizhi and the trip by hydrofoil takes around 1 hour and 15 minutes or charter boat; cruise boats from Moscow and St.Petersburg.
- The departure time from Petrozavodsk is: 13:00 p.m. and 18:00 p.m.
- The departure time from Kizhi Island is: 15:30 and 20:30 p.m.