- 1 large Aubergine (Eggplant)
- 1 Medium Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Large Tomato, finely chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tsp Red Wine Vinegar
- Salt and Black Pepper
- Freshly chopped Parsley to garnish
- Rye Bread to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 190C, 375F, Gas Mark 5.
2. Pierce the aubergine in several places with a knife, place on a baking sheet and bake for about 50 minutes until soft, turning half way through the baking time. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
3. Cut the aubergine in half lengthwise, scoop out the pulp onto a chopping board and chop very finely.
4. Transfer the aubergine flesh to a large mixing bowl, together with the onion, tomato, garlic, oil, and vinegar. Mix well and season with salt and plenty of pepper.
5. Cover and chill well before serving with thin slices of rye bread and garnished with freshly chopped parsley.