- 120ml/4fl.oz. lukewarm Water
- 240ml/8fl.oz. Lukewarm Buttermilk
- 2 tbsp Molasses
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 1 pkt Active Dry Yeast
- 600g/1lb 6oz Whole Wheat Flour
- 150g/+5oz Rye Flour
- 1 tbsp Caraway Seed, crushed
- 1/2 teasp Fennel Seed, crushed
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- Extra oil for greasing
1. Place the water, buttermilk, molasses, honey, and yeast in a large mixing bowl and stir well until the yeast dissolves. Set aside to stand for 5 minutes.
2. Add about 200g/7oz of the flour to the yeast mixture or just enough to form a thick batter. Stir well and leave to stand for about 20 minutes.
3. Stir the batter down, then add the remaining ingredients and mix to form a thick dough.
4. Turn the dough onto a floured work surface and knead for 5-10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
5. Lightly oil a mixing bowl, place the dough in the bowl, cover with a tea towel and leave to rise for 40 minutes.
6. Lightly oil a 2-quart loaf pan and preheat oven to 180C, 350F, Gas Mark 4. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured work surface, form into a large loaf and press into the oiled tin. Leave to rise for 20 minutes.
7. Bake the loaf for about 50 minutes or until it sounds hollow when tapped and comes easily out of the tin.