- 250g/9oz Puff Pastry
- 225g/8oz Fresh Salmon
- 450g/1lb Fresh Spinach
- Bouquet Garni
- Salt and Black pepper
- 1 Egg, separated
- 225g/8oz Long Grain Rice
- 3 tbsp Single Cream
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 Hard-boiled Eggs, peeled
1. Place the salmon in a saucepan with enough water to cover, the bouquet garni and salt. Bring to the boil slowly, then remove from heat, cover, leave for 15 minutes. Drain, remove the skin and flake.
2. Meanwhile wash the rice and cook in boiling salted water for 15 minutes until tender. Preheat the oven to 220C, 425F, Gas mark 7.
3. Place the spinach in a saucepan with only the water which is clinging to the leaves, cover and cook until tender. Drain well, squeeze any excess water from the leaves and roughly chop. Set aside.
4. Drain the rice thoroughly, then put in bowl with egg yolk, cream, lemon juice and seasoning. Mix well.
5. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to 2 rectangles, one 23x 36cm/9x14 inches , the other 28x 41cm/llx16 inches. Place smallest one on a floured baking tray and spread half the rice over pastry, leaving a 2.5cm/1 inch border.
6. Cover with half the spinach and then the salmon. Arrange the whole hard-boiled eggs along the centre and cover with remaining spinach and rice. Brush the pastry border with the lightly beaten egg white.
7. Place remaining pastry over the filling, pressing the edges together to seal. Trim edges, knock up and crimp. Use the pastry trimmings to cut fancy shapes or leaves and decorate the top of the pie. Glaze the top with the egg white then bake in centre of oven for 20 minutes. Reduce temperature to 180C, 350F, Gas mark 4 and cook for a further 20 minutes till well risen and golden. Serve immediately.