- 225g/8oz Long Grain Rice
- 600ml/20fl.oz. Water
- 1 Small Cabbage
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 2 Carrots, chopped
- 2 Onions, chopped
- 450g/1lb Mushrooms
- Salt and Black Pepper
- 240ml/8fl.oz. Sour Cream
1. Place the rice in a small saucepan together with the water and salt, bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until just tender.
2. Meanwhile, remove as much of the thick core from the cabbage (leaving the leaves still in tact) then place the cabbage in a large saucepan, cover with water, bring to the boil and cook for about 15 minutes.
3. Whilst the rice and cabbage are cooking, melt the butter in s medium saucepan, add the carrots and onions and sauté for 5 minutes.
4. Add the mushrooms to the onion mixture, mix well and continue to sauté for a further 5 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to 150C, 300F, Gas Mark 2. Drain the rice well then add to the mushroom mixture seasoning well with salt and black pepper. Mix well and set aside.
6. Drain the cabbage then separate the leaves and flatten the them out. Place 1 tablespoon of the rice mixture in the centre of each leaf, roll the leaves up, tucking the edges in as you go to form little parcels, then place the parcels seam down in a single layer in a shallow ovenproof dish.
7. Add enough water or vegetable stock to a depth of 2.5cm/1-inch, dot with extra butter and bake for 1 hour.
Serve with sour cream .