The monument is 155 feet 8 inches tall and is topped with a statue of an angel holding a cross. The body of the column is made of a single monolith of red granite, which stands 83 feet 6 inches high and about 11 feet 5 inches in diameter.
It has only three spans, with the center span guarded by Romanesque granite towers, while the two outer spans are framed by the contours of massive 136-meter girders which present a sharp contrast to the surroundings. The bridge's most innovative feature was its quick rising middle span. This section was designed to rise up in as little as 30 seconds, using an innovative electro-mechanical system. Just in case, an alternative option using manpower allowed the bridge to be raised in as little as 10 minutes.
Cathedral of SS Peter and Paul
The Cathedral of SS Peter and Paul is the oldest church in St. Petersburg, and also the second-tallest building in the city. It is intimately linked to both the history of the city and to the Romanov dynasty, as it is home to the graves of nearly all the rulers of Russia since Peter the Great.
The Garden was laid out in the 1820s to a design by Carlo Rossi, and the statue of Catherine the Great which dominates it and from which it takes its name was erected in 1873.
Location: Ploshchad Ostrovskogo
Kazan Cathedral (The Cathedral of Our Lady of Kazan)
Constructed between 1801 and 1811 by the architect Andrei Voronikhin, was built to an enormous scale and boasts an impressive stone colonnade, encircling a small garden and central fountain.
Location: Nevsky Prospekt, Kazanskaya Square, 2.
Lion Bridge was an innovation, because its support was hidden in the metal bodies of the four white cast-iron lions which stand in majestic pairs at each end of the bridge. The shining gold and gray chains linking the lions at each end of the bridge make a powerful artistic impression, while the bridge's elaborate gray railings are a veritable net of continuous crisscrossing rectangular bars, adorned by glimmering bronze rosettes.
Monument to Catherine the Great
The statue of Catherine is surrounded by delicately carved figures of the most prominent individuals of her reign: politicians and poets, military men and courtiers. As one of the country's most enlightened monarchs, Catherine could not have chosen a better spot herself.
Location: Ploschad Ostrovskovo, just off Nevsky Prospekt
Metro: Gostiny Dvor
Monument to the Heroic Defenders of Leningrad
The square was formally named Ploshchad Pobedy in 1962. Up until then it had been named Sredney Rogatki Ploshchad. After the completion of construction on several nine story apartment buildings along Moscow Prospekt near Ploshchad Pobedy, a second competition was announced for the monument, which was by then called "The Monument to the Heroic Defenders of Leningrad."
The Palace's interiors reveal a multitude of artistic and architectural influences like an Egyptian Vestibule, Italian Hall, Roman sculptures, a Greek Hall filled with luxurious French furnishings and Paul's War Hall.
Location: Train from the Vitebsk to Pavlovsk station.
Open: Sat-Thu, 10:00 a.m. to17:00 p.m., closed first Monday of each month